[virt-tools-list] [libosinfo 2/4] List supported audio devices for Windows & Fedora

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Jan 4 14:57:19 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 04:35:57PM +0200, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 1:18 PM, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 05:01:45PM +0100, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> >> I'm a bit confused by derives-from VS upgrades here, but anyway my
> >
> > Upgrades is for a logical progression of releases from a vendor.
> > Newer links in the chain may drop old hardware, and add new hardware.

The anticipated primary use case for Derives, ws to allow
applications to easily identify & order a sequence of OSs
in a family.

> > Derives is for when a new distro is created that is based off
> > another distro. A derivative will typically offer support for
> > a superset of hardware.  We also use this with various "psuedo
> > distros" which are a base for real distros.

The derives relationship was to allow us to reduce the amount of
metadata we need to store against each OS, by doing inheritance.

> > Clones is for plain 3rd party rebuilds of distros. The hardware
> > support will generally be identical.

The clones relationship was to allow us to easily include explicit
OS names for things like CentOS, without having to do copy+paste of
all the metadata already stored for RHEL.

>   Thanks so much for this explanation, makes things much clear.
> Keeping this in mind, I guess it makes senses to:
>
> 1. Modify osinfo_os_get_devices() to recurse into OSs it 'Derives' and
> 'Clones' as well.

I think there could still be cases where an app might want to
see only the devices explicitly recorded against an OS. So
we would want to have separate APIs to do the recursive
fetch. eg,   osinfo_os_get_all_devices() for recursion

> 2. Modify the DB to reflect 'Derives' relationship as well as
> 'Upgrades' for many of the OSs, for example fedoraN both derives from
> and upgrades fedoraN-1.

Do we really need that ? Or is it enough to just use the upgrades
information directly, in addition to the upgrades info.

Regards,
Daniel