[virt-tools-list] virt-install patch: get default options from config file

Pall Sigurdsson palli at ok.is
Fri Jan 13 11:17:17 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I have made a patch to virt-install so that it can read default parameters from config file if none are provided from the command line (github link is provided below).

https://github.com/palli/python-virtinst/commit/0f54c9d6ab5d026546590cffe3d808adf0d234f2

This gives users ability to create site-defaults (like install location, disk size, virt-type) without specifying them from the command-line every time.

I think this is a solid feature. In my field i see a lot of virt-install powerusers create their own shell-script wrappers for this purpose.

Below is an example of a configuration file that might be well suited for a stock rhel/fedora machine.

Kind regards,
Pall Sigurdsson

----
# Default configuration parameters for virt-install
# Options specified from the command-line will override these.

# Memory (--ram) set default to 1024MB
memory		1024

# Disk (--disk) by default create a 10GB disk in default storage pool
diskopts	pool=default,size=10

# Network (--network) by default create one nic on default network
#network		network=virbr0

# Use kvm virtualization by default
hv_type		kvm

# Default install location