[virt-tools-list] Bridged Network, Fedora 16 and Network Manager

Eric Mesa ericsbinaryworld at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 04:58:22 UTC 2012

I'm using:
 virt-manager 0.9.0
Fedora 16
KDE 4.7.4
network manager 0.9.2-1

I want to have bridged connections so my VMs can be on the same network
segment as the host.  I used the instructions on here:
http://www.linux-kvm.com/content/bridged-networking-virt-manager-083  When
I did that, it made my ethernet connection go away.  It seemed to freeze
up, so I stopped the process.  After that I had no ethernet connection so I
had to go into network manager and add it back in.  When I tried it again,
I once again lost my ethernet connection.

So I looked around on Linuxquestions.org and found instructions to do the
following:

create /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0 by copying it from
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 then edit both files to match
what you need, something like I have listed below

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0
Code:
DEVICE="br0"
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Bridge
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.10.40
GATEWAY=192.168.10.1
DELAY=0

Code:
DEVICE="eth0"
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
HWADDR=00:12:13:14:AB:CD
BRIDGE=br0
Then do 'service network restart'

On my computer instead of DEVICE it has NAME.  So I set it up like this:

cat ifcfg-br0
TYPE=Bridge
BOOTPROTO=none
IPADDR0=192.168.1.17
PREFIX0=24
GATEWAY0=192.168.1.1
DNS1=192.168.1.7
DEFROUTE=yes
IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=yes
IPV6INIT=no
NAME=br0
ONBOOT=yes

When I put the BRIDGE=br0 into my eth0, it stopped working correctly.  What
do I have to do to get this set up correctly?

One other question - would I need to set up a brX for each VM?

Thank you
--
Eric Mesa
http://www.ericsbinaryworld.com