[virt-tools-list] [libvirt] ANNOUNCE: virt-manager 0.9.3

Jason Helfman jhelfman at e-e.com
Wed Jul 18 17:37:02 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 11:26:13AM -0600, Eric Blake thus spake:
>On 07/18/2012 11:17 AM, Cole Robinson wrote:
>> On 07/17/2012 07:39 PM, Jason Helfman wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I noticed in virt-manager, it has an exec on /usr/bin/python. In FreeBSD,
>>> this is /usr/local/bin/python. Is there a way I can change this either
>>> through a configure flag at build time, or patch a Makefile?
>>>

>> Not at the moment.

Oy. Can this be configurable in the next release?

>I think you're asking for something like what libvirt did in commit
>e4384459c, by using:
>
>#!/usr/bin/env python
>
>instead of
>
>#!/usr/bin/python
>
>> Hmm, the system python binary is under /usr/local? That doesn't seem right,
>> /usr/local is supposed to be where things go when a user installs things by
>> hand. For example none of the software the Fedora distributes put anything in
>> /usr/local, but by default ./configure && make install for most software roots
>> things under /usr/local.
>
>Yeah, that sounds like it is not FreeBSD's default python installation
>location, but your hand-installed version, or else a bug in how FreeBSD
>packages things.  At any rate, using /usr/bin/env instead of hard-coded
>paths would work around that just as easily as it will for python being
>installed anywhere else other than /usr/bin/.

Default for FreeBSD is /usr/local for all portstree software, because this
software isn't part of the base operating system, so it can't go in the
base distribution.

Also, do you have any ideas for the NLS location?

Thanks!
-jgh

--
Jason Helfman