[virt-tools-list] [libvirt] ANNOUNCE: virt-manager 0.9.3

Jason Helfman jhelfman at e-e.com
Wed Jul 18 17:50:20 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 01:17:29PM -0400, Cole Robinson thus spake:
>On 07/17/2012 07:39 PM, Jason Helfman wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I noticed in virt-manager, it has an exec on /usr/bin/python. In FreeBSD,
>> this is /usr/local/bin/python. Is there a way I can change this either
>> through a configure flag at build time, or patch a Makefile?
>>

>Not at the moment.

Doh!

>Hmm, the system python binary is under /usr/local? That doesn't seem right,
>/usr/local is supposed to be where things go when a user installs things by
>hand. For example none of the software the Fedora distributes put anything in
>/usr/local, but by default ./configure && make install for most software roots
>things under /usr/local.
>
>If freebsd is really doing that, it would probably require some makefile and
>configure tweaking to work on both platforms. Are you just trying to get
>virt-manager working personally, or packaging it (whatever that entails) to be
>distributed with freebsd?

Both. The default for FreeBSD is to install to /usr/local, as no software in
our ports collection is part of our base operating system. Having
configurability would be optimal.

>> One more bit. NLS on FreeBSD is installed to /usr/local/share/locale, and
>> noticed in the po/Makefile:
>>
>> libdir = ${exec_prefix}/lib
>> DATADIRNAME = lib
>> itlocaledir = $(prefix)/$(DATADIRNAME)/locale
>>
>> I was wondering what flag I could use to get NLS to go to
>> /usr/local/share/locale and not /usr/local/lib/locale
>>
>>   --bindir=DIR            user executables [EPREFIX/bin]
>>   --sbindir=DIR           system admin executables [EPREFIX/sbin]
>>   --libexecdir=DIR        program executables [EPREFIX/libexec]
>>   --sysconfdir=DIR        read-only single-machine data [PREFIX/etc]
>>   --sharedstatedir=DIR    modifiable architecture-independent data [PREFIX/com]
>>   --localstatedir=DIR     modifiable single-machine data [PREFIX/var]
>>   --libdir=DIR            object code libraries [EPREFIX/lib]
>>   --includedir=DIR        C header files [PREFIX/include]
>>   --oldincludedir=DIR     C header files for non-gcc [/usr/include]
>>   --datarootdir=DIR       read-only arch.-independent data root [PREFIX/share]
>>   --datadir=DIR           read-only architecture-independent data [DATAROOTDIR]
>>   --infodir=DIR           info documentation [DATAROOTDIR/info]
>>   --localedir=DIR         locale-dependent data [DATAROOTDIR/locale]
>>   --mandir=DIR            man documentation [DATAROOTDIR/man]
>>   --docdir=DIR            documentation root [DATAROOTDIR/doc/virt-manager]
>>   --htmldir=DIR           html documentation [DOCDIR]
>>   --dvidir=DIR            dvi documentation [DOCDIR]
>>   --pdfdir=DIR            pdf documentation [DOCDIR]
>>   --psdir=DIR             ps documentation [DOCDIR]
>>

>I'm not entirely sure I follow, but I'd try playing around with --libdir or
>--datadir.

I figured I would do that, but would this change the installation path of
anything else?

Thanks!

--
Jason Helfman