[virt-tools-list] MacVTap questions

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Tue Jul 24 15:53:34 UTC 2012

On 07/23/2012 08:07 PM, Erasmo Acosta wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 	I'm new to VMM. Mostly trying to get away from the VMWare player because it has horrible support for the latest Linux Kernels on Fedora. What I'm trying to do is to have the Guest VM, running Windows XP, mount SAMBA Shares from the HOST and then offer Video transcoding and streaming to iOS devices in my house. Both the Default NAT Interface and the MacvTap interface solve part of the problem, but none solves the entire problem. Can someone please comment?

If you are talking solely about the network issues, you want to set up a
bridge on your host machine and share that with the guest. The guest will get
an IP address like any other machine on your network.

http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking#Bridged_networking_.28aka_.22shared_physical_device.22.29