[virt-tools-list] vmdk to LVM

Mihamina Rakotomandimby mihamina at rktmb.org
Mon Jun 11 13:56:04 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I use to install my KVM VMs with (I shorten):
   $ sudo lvcreate -n a-lvm [...]
   $ sudo virt-install [...]  --disk path=/dev/mapper/a-vg/a-lvm

A colleague went with a bunch of "*.vmdk" that I think I can use:
http://goo.gl/KxigR
I would like to stick with my convention to use one LVM per VM, so I'm
looking for some resources teaching how to switch from a file disk image
to a LVM:
- How to calculate the right size to pass to "lvcreate"?
- How to transfert the file image to the LVM?

One solution could be to create a LVM, format it mount it, copy the disk
image on it, but it's crappy  (add one unnecessary FS layer).

My host system is an up to date CentOS6.
The guests are VirtualBox VM with legacy browsers (IE6, FF3.6,...).

Thank you for your help.

--
RMA.