[virt-tools-list] virt-viewer over ssh

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Nov 6 16:24:47 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 06, 2012 at 04:25:31PM +0100, Michal Privoznik wrote:
> On 06.11.2012 15:56, Dave Allan wrote:
> > I'm having trouble with virt-viewer not connecting to a VM on a remote
> > host over SSH.  It connects, briefly gives me a black VM display, and
> > then says that the remote disconnected.  I've noticed a few paches on
> > review that seem to reference misbehavior with SSH.[1][2]  Before I go
> > dig into this, is anybody else seeing this behavior?  Guido, what was
> > your motivation for these patches?  I have to admit that in the quick
> > look I took last night I don't understand their purpose.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> I am not experiencing this. However, what I've noticed:
>
>     virt-viewer -c qemu+ssh://localhost/system rawhide
>
> asks for password twice.

Well you ought to use ssh keys / agents first. There's nothing
we can do about this in general. The first ssh session there
is for libvirt, the second session is for VNC/SPICE. Since the
password prompt is being done by the ssh client binary, we
can't share the passwords across the sessions

If we used libssh2 however it would be possible to avoid the
double password prompts

Daniel