[virt-tools-list] [libosinfo] API to query required user avatar format

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Tue Nov 20 14:59:51 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 04:37:13PM +0200, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 12:02 PM, Christophe Fergeau
> <cfergeau at redhat.com> wrote:
> >> +
> >> +/* Init functions */
> >> +static void
> >> +osinfo_avatar_format_class_init (OsinfoAvatarFormatClass *klass)
> >> +{
> >> +    GObjectClass *g_klass = G_OBJECT_CLASS (klass);
> >> +    GParamSpec *pspec;
> >> +
> >> +    g_klass->get_property = osinfo_avatar_format_get_property;
> >> +
> >> +    /**
> >> +     * OsinfoAvatarFormat:mime-type:
> >> +     *
> >> +     * The required mime-type of the avatar.
> >

> > What if several formats are supported?
>
> Hm.. didn't think of that. Usually I've seen either the image is
> required to be in a particular format or there is no restrictions (all
> common image formats are supported) so in case of later we an simply
> return NULL? If we want to be very future safe, well this could be a
> regex then?

Define "common image formats" ? ;) is JPEG2000 common? What about BMP or
PCX? Can we make this a GStrv or a GList or GArray, ... ?

> >> +    /**
> >> +     * OsinfoAvatarFormat:depth:
> >> +     *
> >> +     * The required depth (in bits) of the avatar.
> >
> > Is that really required?
>
> Yes. Check the changes to data/install-scripts/windows-cmd.xml in this
> patch. It was a boolean 'alpha' prop in fidencio's original patch to
> indicate whether alpha channel is allowed or not.
>
> > I don't think such a property is really useful as
> > the number of bits per pixel (I guess this is what this means?) is not
> > expressive enough, you need to know the bits used by each component (R, G,
> > B) as well as their bit position.
>
> Is that a usual scenerio to have anything other the R, G and B? About
> position of bits, I doubt we'll need to know that or have any
> restrictions on those.

Well, you mentioned alpha, and then R, G, B. If bit depth is 32, are we
supposed to be using ARGB, RGBA, BGRA. ... ? If the only thing this hints
at is whether the avatar should have an alpha channel or not, a boolean
would probably be better, especially as the image format used will probably
encode the image bit depth, channel order, ... for us, so we probably don't
really need to care about it.

Christophe