[virt-tools-list] [libosinfo] API to query required user avatar format

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) zeeshanak at gnome.org
Tue Nov 20 17:53:46 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 7:35 PM, Christophe Fergeau <cfergeau at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 07:26:02PM +0200, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:

>> > I'm not talking about how it's stored in the xml database, but about how
>> > it's exposed in gobject properties/public getter. We can apply some
>> > transformation between what we use internally and what the library user
>> > will see.
>>
>> Sure but I don't see why those two things need to be different and us
>> having to do transformations.
>
> To have a friendly external API rather than forcing internal implementation
> issues onto the library user.

Thinking more about this, other restrictions could theoretically also
be >1. Since I'm not sure we'll actually be encountering such
installers, I think we currently go with this API and when we actually
encounter such an installer, we:

1. Allow multiple avatar formats, i-e add a
osinfo_install_script_get_avatar_formats()
2. Make _get_avatar_format() return the first restriction in the list
3. Document in _get_avatar_format() about #2 and that apps should use
the new API

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)
FSF member#5124