[virt-tools-list] virt-install: zero allocation on lvm volumes

Doug Goldstein cardoe at gentoo.org
Tue Oct 2 20:30:21 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Guido Günther <agx at sigxcpu.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> creating a vm with a virtual disk in an lvm pool e.g. via:
>
> virt-install --disk=pool=vm_test,size=3.0 ...
>
> results in (from libvirtd's log):
>
> virCommandWait:2332 : internal error Child process (/sbin/lvcreate --name test01.img -L 0K --virtualsize 3145728K vg_vm_test) unexpected exit status 5:   Unable to create new logical volume with no extents
>
> However using
>
> virt-install --disk=pool=vm_test,size=3.0,sparce=false ...
>
> works. I wonder what's the correct place to make sure we don't try to
> create LVM volumes with a zero allocation by default?
> Cheers,
>  -- Guido

I actually very recently brought this up on libvirt's IRC channel. The
question is do we want to disallow sparse allocations on LVM entirely?
Or just some small percentage be allocated and then grow to the
correct size. I feel the correct place to fix this is within libvirt
itself.

--
Doug Goldstein