[virt-tools-list] Windows7 install on VM failure

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Wed Oct 17 01:14:16 UTC 2012

On 10/08/2012 01:52 PM, Arno Gaboury wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I am trying with no sucess to install w7 on a VM on my Archlinux box.
> I use virt-install,virtio,qemu, and i already managed to set up VM.
> This time, after #virt-install --connect qemu///....., the libvirtviewer
> opens, and windows starts to install. The issue is it can not find the
> disk (/dev/vg0/lv_merdoz) beacuse drivers are not installed.
> I read I needed virtio-win-0.1-30.iso.
> I downloaded it, exctrat the WIN7 folder with the drivers.
> Then I exctrat my win7.iso, put the WIN7 folder inside, then
> $mkisofs -o win7.iso -J -r win7
> and get a new iso file.
> Unfortunately, when using it with virt-install, the file is not
> recognized and windows can not boot: could not red (code 004).
>
> 1- Do I really need virtio.iso to get the drivers?
> 2- how to add it in my setup?

Hmm, judging by your later mail I take it you figured this out. Just in case
anyone else is wondering, the command Arnaud used was:

$virt-install --connect qemu:///system --name=merdox --ram 4000 --cpu
host --disk path=/dev/vg0/lv_merdox,bus=virtio,sparse=false,format=raw
--cdrom /dev/cdrom --description="merdox -vm guest on host magnolia"
--graphics vnc --os-type=windows --os-variant=win7  --video=vga --hvm
--accelerate --network bridge=br0 --disk
path=/home/gabx/isofiles/virtio-win-0.1-30.iso,device=cdrom