[virt-tools-list] [libosinfo 3/5] Mark obvious strings in DB for translation

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) zeeshanak at gnome.org
Fri Oct 19 13:24:50 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 4:19 PM, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)
<zeeshanak at gnome.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 1:15 PM, Christophe Fergeau <cfergeau at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 11:56:37AM +0200, Michal Privoznik wrote:
>>> Or, are you trying to allow translation of XML element values? Again,
>>> translating CentOS is not a good idea. I cannot even imagine situation
>>> where this is needed.
>>
>> Yes, the goal is to translate the element content. It's nice at least for
>> Windows versions which have localized names for their different editions:
>> http://windows.microsoft.com/fr-FR/windows7/products/compare
>> Now that you mention it, marking every single name as translatable is
>> probably overkill (unless in some languages, they transliterate the names
>> in the script they are using?)
>
> Yes, thats exactly the point. Think global, not western-only. :) Here
> you see information about Microsoft and Windows in Arabic:
>
> http://ar.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D9%85%D8%A7%D9%8A%D9%83%D8%B1%D9%88%D8%B3%D9%88%D9%81%D8%AA
> . "مايكروسوفت" is simply Microsoft but in arabic script.
> http://ar.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D9%85%D8%A7%D9%8A%D9%83%D8%B1%D9%88%D8%B3%D9%88%D9%81%D8%AA_%D9%88%D9%8A%D9%86%D8%AF%D9%88%D8%B2

Even better example is the Farsi page for windows:

http://fa.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D9%85%D8%A7%DB%8C%DA%A9%D8%B1%D9%88%D8%B3%D8%A7%D9%81%D8%AA_%D9%88%DB%8C%D9%86%D8%AF%D9%88%D8%B2

They are also translating numbers: "ویندوز ۲۰۰۰" is Windows 2000.

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)
FSF member#5124