[virt-tools-list] [libosinfo 3/5] Mark obvious strings in DB for translation

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Fri Oct 19 13:47:00 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 04:19:42PM +0300, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 1:15 PM, Christophe Fergeau <cfergeau at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 11:56:37AM +0200, Michal Privoznik wrote:
> >> Or, are you trying to allow translation of XML element values? Again,
> >> translating CentOS is not a good idea. I cannot even imagine situation
> >> where this is needed.
> >
> > Yes, the goal is to translate the element content. It's nice at least for
> > Windows versions which have localized names for their different editions:
> > http://windows.microsoft.com/fr-FR/windows7/products/compare
> > Now that you mention it, marking every single name as translatable is
> > probably overkill (unless in some languages, they transliterate the names
> > in the script they are using?)
>
> Yes, thats exactly the point. Think global, not western-only. :) Here
> you see information about Microsoft and Windows in Arabic:

I wasn't explicit, but I was thinking of Fedora, CentOS, ... here.

> About versions:
>
> 1. I'm not exactly sure if they are guaranteed to be numbers
> 2. Numbers also need to be translated in many locales and this
> includes even western languages. Recall our discussion about use of

Numbers are different from version numbers ;) While the decimal separator
is ',' in .fr, we use '.' in version numbers, hence my question about
making version numbers translatable, I honestly have no idea if that's
something people will want to translate (especially as what you are
interested in is the full name).
While I'm writing this, I'm also thinking that this version number is
probably more useful when used programmatically (if distro == fedora &&
version <= 17), so an untranslated version would be needed anyway.

Christophe