[virt-tools-list] [libosinfo 3/5] Mark obvious strings in DB for translation

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Fri Oct 19 13:53:08 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 03:38:04PM +0200, Michal Privoznik wrote:
> ID or not? If it is so, then we cannot translate it; if they are not an
> ID, then we can translate it, wisely.

Imo name and vendor are not ids. For 'name', there is 'short-id' which is
an id, and 'vendor' probably has some overlap with 'distro', and the latter
looks more like an ID. As said in another email, I'd tend toward not
translating the version field though.

> My biggest concern is to not force libosinfo consumers to change
> anything (esp. in non-easily-solvable way -> translating Windows from
> Farsi to English). But on the other hand, our consumers can set locale
> before they link with libosinfo, right? I mean:
>
>   setlocale();
>   dlopen();
>
> Which sucks really, doesn't it?

Yep, we don't want to go that way, especially when we have multiple
threads.

> So maybe, if libosinfo would implement a function to enable localization
> (and eventually set one)? That would leave both sides happy, right?

This could work, but it would be better if we could avoid it ;)

Christophe