[virt-tools-list] Error when cloning using virt-manager

Renato Alves rjalves at igc.gulbenkian.pt
Thu Sep 6 15:04:19 UTC 2012

I have a server running Ubuntu lucid with libvirt 0.7.5 . On it several
virtual machines are setup using KVM. They have been running fine so far.

From another machine running Debian stable and virt-manager 0.8.4, I can
manage the machines without any problem.

However, from a Gentoo machine running virt-manager 0.9.4 (also tried
0.8.7) I can't clone a machine and I always get the error:

****
Error setting clone parameters: Could not use path
'/var/lib/libvirt/images/base-debian-clone.img' for cloning: invalid
storage volume pointer in no storage vol with matching path

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/engine.py", line 706, in
_do_show_clone
    clone_window.show(src.topwin)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/clone.py", line 174, in show
    self.reset_state()
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/clone.py", line 242, in
reset_state
    self.populate_storage_lists()
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/clone.py", line 576, in
populate_storage_lists
    self.clone_design.clone_devices = new_disks
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/virtinst/CloneManager.py",
line 227, in set_clone_devices
    (path, str(e)))
ValueError: Could not use path
'/var/lib/libvirt/images/base-debian-clone.img' for cloning: invalid
storage volume pointer in no storage vol with matching path
****

The error seems to point to a missing image, however I've checked and
the image exists on that folder on the remote server.
This error doesn't happen on the Debian machine. There I can clone
without any problem.

At the moment I have no idea what could be the cause of this error. If
someone can suggest corrections or further tests to identify what could
be wrong it would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Renato