[virt-tools-list] Error when cloning using virt-manager

Renato Alves rjalves at igc.gulbenkian.pt
Thu Sep 6 21:49:01 UTC 2012

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't quite understand why I need a storage pool on the client if I'm
cloning from and to the remote server, but here is the output.

This is what I get on all 3 machines: the host (Ubuntu) and 2 clients
(Debian and Gentoo)

On the host I have more than one virtual machine running with KVM. I use
virt-manager from the clients and connect via ssh as root.

If I login there as root and issue the commands you pointed out I get:
# virsh pool-list
Name                 State      Autostart
default              active     yes

# virsh pool-info default
Name:           default
UUID:           9ffa74fe-6efa-9b5e-5090-33a86cf25073
State:          running
Capacity:       535.35 GB
Allocation:     57.41 GB
Available:      477.94 GB

Then on the Debian machine which has no virtual machine running, if I
run the above commands as the user I use with virt-manager I get:

# virsh pool-list
Name                 State      Autostart

# virsh pool-info default
error: failed to get pool 'default'
error: Storage pool not found: no pool with matching name 'default'

This is the machine where using virt-manager to connect to the server
and cloning raises no errors.

On the Gentoo machine, the output is the same the Debian machine, but
doing the same operation on virt-manager fails with the error from before.

I thought that you don't need to have libvirtd running on the clients if
you only want to manage remote hosts, but in case I read it wrong I
tried your suggestion of creating a default pool on the clients. With my
normal user I still can get output with virsh pool-list and pool-info. I
do if I run it as root.

So I restarted all applications related with virtualization but it
didn't make a difference.

I also tried to run virt-manager as root to workaround the permission
issue but the clone error still shows up.

So I'm back at square one... Any further ideas on what could be wrong?

Thanks again,
Renato

Quoting Eric Blake on 06-09-2012 20:50: