[virt-tools-list] How do the bootloader and kernel image both get transferred to the VM in the "Network install" option?

Kazuo Moriwaka kmoriwak at redhat.com
Tue Sep 11 03:58:08 UTC 2012

From: Marwan <marwan.tanager at gmail.com>
Subject: [virt-tools-list] How do the bootloader and kernel image both get transferred to the VM in the "Network install" option?
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 19:19:44 +0200

> So, what I am interested in, is how those images are get transferred
> to, and installed in the the newly created VM using the "Network
> install" option.

It's depend on virtualization environment.
For example, qemu has multiboot(spec of bootloader) emulation for
linux kernel. qemu can load kernel, initrd, and cmdline arguments
in similar way of mapping ROMs.  qemu and kvm use this method.

In Xen, in my old memory, PV domain only can boot with
kernel/initrd/cmdline in dom0.  In usual booting, pygrub works in dom0
and fetch kernel/initrd/grub.cfg from guest disk image.

'Network install' use them to install kernel/initrd/cmdline.

--
Kazuo Moriwaka