[virt-tools-list] Sparse in Virt-clone

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Sep 12 09:46:15 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 07:28:46AM +0000, Pankaj Rawat wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to clone a lvm2 image following thing haapens when I clone a image with virt-clone command
>
> virt-clone --prompt --force --original  lvm_thin_1 --name  lvm_thin_2 --file /dev/volgrp/lvm_thin2
>
> Now when I clone this,  It clone successfully but the cloned image is fully expanded ,  I mean it takes all 100% space

virt-clone doesn't give you much value here.  It basically makes a few
changes to the libvirt XML configuration (like assigning a new name
and UUID) which you could easily do yourself.

So the real question is how to copy a thin-provisioned LV and keep it
sparse.  I don't see a way to do this, but you could create a snapshot
of the original using the regular tools (lvcreate).

Rich.