[virt-tools-list] virt-manager gtk3 and virtinst merge now on master branch

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Thu Apr 4 13:31:05 UTC 2013

On 04/03/2013 08:40 PM, Cole Robinson wrote:
> The virt-manager gtk3.2 branch has now become virt-manager master. Previous
> master is now on a 0.9-maint branch, if we ever want to do bug fix releases of
> the old 0.9 series.
>
> Since virtinst has been merged with virt-manager, the virtinst master branch
> has been emptied except for a simple readme. There's now a 0.6-maint branch
> which contains the previous virtinst master.
>
> So the next virt-manager release will definitely be gtk3 based!
So, this will now be toe basis for future releases.  Any idea as to
whether this will be 0.10.0 or 1.0.0?  Regardless, I have a couple of
suggestions/comments.

1. virtcli/clicongfig.__version__ is still 0.9.4

2.  I prefer and suggest that, instead of this hardcoded value for
version which requires a git-commit, tags be used.  Therefore, I suggest
that such a tag be used now the set the base.

3.  Add a "modifier" to indicate what the current release-marker tag
is.  This could be something like 0.10.0.0, 0.10.0.1, 0.10.0.2, ... or
0.10.0-dev1, 0.10.0-dev2, and 0.10.0-rc1, 0.10.0-rc2, ... to provide
more info about that the current "HEAD" is/means.  Then an tag or fixed
version-id of 0.10.0 or 0.10.1 would be the "release" version-id.  BTW,
my versioning patch strips off anything prefix/postfix added the the
version-id with a "-".

BTW, maybe the version-id for this new development branch should be
"0.9.99" which then could become "0.10.0" upon release.  An alternative
is the development branch being something like "0.99.0" which then could
result in "1.0.0" as the release-id.

4. One of the objectives with my versioning patch is to implement unique
version identifiers to support snapshots.  In my v1 of the patch, if the
version_id is a "release" version-id, then only the version-id is used.
Otherwise a snapshot identifier of ".gityyyymmdd" is used.  Based on
what I saw in autobuild.sh, maybe I should use ".git<now-seconds>.  This
release-id or snapshot-id is used in the tarball name as well as being
set for the "@VERSION@" in virt-manager.spec ... comments/suggestions?

Gene