[virt-tools-list] [Spice-devel] Feature requests for virt-viewer windows port

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Mon Aug 26 15:12:04 UTC 2013

> Hi there,
>
> I apreciate very much the hard work from red hat/fedora developers on
> this, spice looks amazing (defintely much better than vnc) but when you
> have easy to use graphical admin tools for proprietary hypervisors (and
> the now open-sourced XenServer) managing a KVM/RHEV host is very hard.
>
> At least, the virt-viewer (remote-viewer) port should either embed a ssh
> client or use an external putty under the covers (like Xming does), and
> work with both ssh keys and password auth directly from the connection
> dialog (which today is non-existant, just "type a URL")

Sounds like a good idea to have an ssh tunnel to the guest. It's totally doable without extending the current protocol by using a new char-dev channel. Actually we may want to record the number of the channel in the protocol, but that's it. Other then that it requires changes all over, but small, and has been discussed before, just needs someone to love it enough ;)

> And it should be able to get the spice TCP port from libvirtd, instead
> of having the user find and provide the correct port on the host for the
> desired guest. It should be smart enough to setup a ssh tunnel if needed
> or ask for tls certificates if it can't find them.

If your use case is libvirtd based, you can use virt-viewer directly, it does exactly the "connect to libvirt, get spice credentials, use them" part, i.e.
virsh list
 Id    Name                           State
 2     boxes-unknown-2                running

virt-viewer boxes-unknown-2

And uses the same code as remote-viewer (it's the same repository) and specifically uses spice-gtk.