[virt-tools-list] PATCH add volume key to names of iSCSI volumes in storage view

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Thu Dec 5 16:23:27 UTC 2013

On 12/03/2013 08:20 PM, Jefferson Ogata - NOAA Federal wrote:
> Dealing with iSCSI pools in terms of "unit:0:0:1"-type volume names is fraught
> with the threat of catastrophic error if a LUN is attached to the wrong VM.
> But there aren't many ways to communicate more info about an underlying iSCSI
> volume to virt-manager's storage browser.
>
> One way that does exist, however, is the volume key, which is, it seems,
> equivalent to "1" followed by the SCSI ID set on the iSCSI target--the same
> value found under /dev/disk/by-id/ with a "scsi_" prefix. Since i explicitly
> set the SCSI ID to a useful value in my tgt configuration, i thought it would
> be useful to present it in the virt-manager storage view using this vector.
>
> So here's a small patch against the virt-manager-0.9.0-19.el6 SRPM for CentOS
> 6.5 that does it. Instead of displaying simply "unit:0:0:1", it instead
> displays something like "unit:0:0:1 (1vg1_foo.vda)" where, for example, i have
> tgtd configured to set the SCSI ID for the given volume to "vg1/foo.vda", i.e.
> the LVM path of the backing store for the given LUN.
>
> Makes it a helluva lot easier to pick the right LUN, for me, anyway.
>
> I hope attachments are okay. Not sure tbird won't muck with it if i include it
> inline.
>
> Thoughts?

Thanks for the patch, though the upstream code has diverged enough that it
doesn't apply. I pushed a similar change to upstream now.

Can you provide a couple iscsi volume XML examples, so we can integrate them
into our test suite?

sudo virsh vol-list ISCSI-POOL-NAME
sudo virsh vol-dumpxml ISCSI-POOL-NAME VOL-NAME

Thanks,
Cole