[virt-tools-list] Emulating raspberry pi (arm1136-r2) in virt-manager?

Simon Lambourn simon.lambourn at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 14:26:25 UTC 2013

Hi,  I'm sure I am not the only person to want to do this:

I can emulate raspberry pi using their disk image using raw
qemu-system-arm, but I cannot find the right CPU machine type in
virt-manager.  Has anyone found how to do this, or can someone offer
advice please?

The command I have used to start the raspberry pi emulation (on Ubuntu
12.10) is

qemu-system-arm -kernel kernel-qemu -cpu arm1136-r2 -m 192 -M
versatilepb -no-reboot -serial stdio -append "root=/dev/sda2 panic=1"
-hda debian6-17-02-2012.img

I downloaded the debian6...img file from the raspberry pi site. This all
works fine but I would like to set up a VM definition in virt-manager if
possible.
In the dialog to create a new virtual machine I selected "import
existing OS image" and then on screen 4 "customise configuration before
install", virt type=qemu and architecture = arm.   Then I press Finish
to customise the configuration.    In Overview I select Machine type =
versatilepb (and in Disk type I select disk bus=IDE and storage
format=Raw, but I'm not sure this is important).

However I can't find where or how to enter the cpu type - on the
processor page I have tried setting Model (under configuration) to
arm1136, 1136, arm1136-r2 and none of these are accepted by qemu. If I
leave the Model type blank I get a different error (HDA full duplex not
supported by this binary).

I'd welcome any suggestions.
Thanks for your help...