[virt-tools-list] Emulating raspberry pi (arm1136-r2) in virt-manager?

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Thu Feb 14 20:01:11 UTC 2013

On 02/14/2013 09:26 AM, Simon Lambourn wrote:
> Hi,  I'm sure I am not the only person to want to do this:
>
> I can emulate raspberry pi using their disk image using raw qemu-system-arm,
> but I cannot find the right CPU machine type in virt-manager.  Has anyone
> found how to do this, or can someone offer advice please?
>
> The command I have used to start the raspberry pi emulation (on Ubuntu 12.10) is
>
> qemu-system-arm -kernel kernel-qemu -cpu arm1136-r2 -m 192 -M versatilepb
> -no-reboot -serial stdio -append "root=/dev/sda2 panic=1" -hda
> debian6-17-02-2012.img
>
> I downloaded the debian6...img file from the raspberry pi site. This all works
> fine but I would like to set up a VM definition in virt-manager if possible.
> In the dialog to create a new virtual machine I selected "import existing OS
> image" and then on screen 4 "customise configuration before install", virt
> type=qemu and architecture = arm.   Then I press Finish to customise the
> configuration.    In Overview I select Machine type = versatilepb (and in Disk
> type I select disk bus=IDE and storage format=Raw, but I'm not sure this is
> important).
>
> However I can't find where or how to enter the cpu type - on the processor
> page I have tried setting Model (under configuration) to arm1136, 1136,
> arm1136-r2 and none of these are accepted by qemu. If I leave the Model type
> blank I get a different error (HDA full duplex not supported by this binary).

libvirt + qemu-system-arm don't play together too well at the moment. I don't
think you will be able to do what you want to do without some qemu wrapper
script. There's some hints here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/HowToQemu#Using_QEMU_with_libvirt

The plan is to make this all 'just work' in libvirt + virt-manager, but no
time table yet.