[virt-tools-list] Emulating raspberry pi (arm1136-r2) in virt-manager?

Leonardo Augusto Guimarães Garcia lagarcia at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Feb 15 23:50:42 UTC 2013

On 02/15/2013 05:47 PM, Simon Lambourn wrote:

> This is looking a bit more complicated than I thought... I now
> understand that I can't simply define the ARM machine in xml and
> define it using virsh, as the CPU type (arm1136-r2) is rejected by
> libvirt which can't test if it's valid or not.
>
> So I think what Cole and Martin are suggesting is that I define a
> dummy emulator (the wrapper script) which plays with the arguments
> passed by libvirt and then calls the real emulator qemu-system-arm. I
> had a quick go at this but I couldn't work out where to put the
> wrapper script.  I tried putting a wrapper (qemu-system-pi - written
> in python) in /usr/bin, but virsh define couldn't find it.
You should put the whole path for the script in your xml. Instead of:

<emulator>/usr/libexec/qemu-kvm</emulator>

or something like the above, you should put the path to your wrapper-script.

If your system has selinux enabled, you might need to properly set
selinux context of the wrapper script so that it works.

Best regards,

Leonardo Garcia