[virt-tools-list] virt-manager gtk3 branch now available

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Mon Feb 18 16:01:49 UTC 2013

On 02/18/2013 10:11 AM, Guido Günther wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 02:32:36PM -0500, Cole Robinson wrote:
> [..snip..]
>> merge virtinst:
>> - no big clean up, just get it all + unit tests working
>> - merge history or just add code?
>
> Is there any pressing reason for this? It's great to have this as a
> separate python module for user in other tools/scripts.

The reason is that it makes virt-manager and virtinst development harder for
very little gain. This is particularly pressing because I'm not devoting much
time to active virt-manager development these days, so I want to make it as
easy as possible for other people to contribute.

The only other virtinst consumers were doing so quite superficially anyways so
I figured no one would care, I think you're the first person that has ever
mentioned using virtinst in scripts :). Long term virtinst library code will
slowly disappear as we convert to libvirt-gobject, libvirt-designer, and
libosinfo.

If you have scripts that use virtinst, you should could still use the private
code virt-manager will ship, there just won't be any API guarantee. That said
the API will likely stay 90% the same.