[virt-tools-list] VirtViewer version scheme and Windows ProductVersion

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Jul 25 17:56:48 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 07:36:16PM +0200, Marc-André Lureau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The Windows Installer requires a ProductVersion of major.minor.build
> to perform update correctly. The fourth field is ignored.
> (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa370859%28v=vs.85%29.aspx)
>
> What is the current version scheme meaning? Could we switch to
> something that would fit Windows? It seems to me major.minor.build
> would fit better, especially for downstream windows distro who may
> want to maintain their own build (ovirt/rhevm). The leading 0 could be
> dropped, so  what about moving form 0.5.6 to 1.0 or 5.7

I don't see any need to change what we do for our versioning
scheme.

The ProductVersion is 3 digits and that can easily map directly to
our existing 3 digit release numbers. If you need todo multiple
rebuilds of the Windows installer for the same version, that doc
above describes something called a "package code" which could be
incremented for each new build.

Alteratively, the build number field of the ProductVersion is
allowed to take values in the range  1-65536. We never use that
whole range for micro version numbers. So we could use that to
encode the micro version number + build number by shifting the
micro version number 8 bits.

eg,

  version     build    productversion
  0.5.6       0        0.5.1536   (6 * 256 + 0 == 1536)
  0.5.6       1        0.5.1537   (6 * 256 + 1 == 1537)
  0.5.6       2        0.5.1538    ...
  0.5.7       0        0.5.1792
  0.5.7       1        0.5.1793

If ovirt/rhevm want todo their own custom windows installers then
IMHO they should be using a different package name and/or ProductCode
to distinguish their builds from the official builds.

Regards,
Daniel