[virt-tools-list] VirtViewer version scheme and Windows ProductVersion

Marc-André Lureau mlureau at redhat.com
Fri Jul 26 11:42:45 UTC 2013

----- Mensaje original -----
> On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 07:31:34AM -0400, Marc-André Lureau wrote:
> > Hi

The problem with your definition of .micro is the "mostly". What should go in minor or what should go in micro is subject to debate. That's something we can avoid.

> > > I don't think this drops that ability at all. There is plenty of scope
> > > in the windows version numbers to encode even a 4 digit version number
> > > and a build number.  The micro numbers rarely go above 10, if we had
> > > a stable branch that'd be pretty unlikely to go above 10 in numbers
> > > so you could easily encode those two digits into one byte, leaving a
> > > second byte for the build number
> >
> > Given that we are already talking about 0.5.7, I would say we get
> > close to 10 pretty easily.
>
> This discussion is pointless bikeshedding. It is perfectly possible to
> do windows installers with the versioning scheme we already have. I see
> no reason to justify changing

It's not useless since we have a problem with windows installer updates and our version scheme.

Please believe me, I have no fun at all, and I would prefer not to have to deal with those Windows issues and get rid of this problem quickly. But between using a weird windows version scheme that doesn't follow upstream and getting a clear understanding for the version scheme we use, I prefer the later.