[virt-tools-list] NMI watchdog issue

chandrashekar shastri cshastri at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Jun 12 14:44:51 UTC 2013

Hi All,

We are testing the upstream KVM with :

Kernel, Qemu, Libvirt, Virt-Manager is built from the source (git).

kernel version : 3.9.0+
qemu version : QEMU emulator version 1.5.0
libvirt version : 1.0.5
virt-install : 0.600.3

I have followed the below steps to test the NMI watchdog feature :

1. Installed the watchdog rpm on the guest
2.Booted the guest with qemu-system-x86_64 vm1.qcow2 -smp 2 -enable-kvm
-m 1000 -cpu Nehalem -watchdog i6300esb -watchdog-action reset
3. Edit the grub.conf with nmi_watchdog=1

But, I see "cat /proc/interrupts | grep -i nmi" the nmi counter is not
getting incremented. It would be helpful if you let me know whether it
is a bug or I am missing some steps.

Thanks,
Chandrashekar