[virt-tools-list] USB redirection in virt-manager console viewer

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Wed Jun 19 13:24:28 UTC 2013

On 06/19/2013 08:03 AM, Leonardo Augusto Guimarães Garcia wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I am interested in having USB redirection working through spice in
> virt-manager console viewer, just as we have in virt-viewer today.
>
> Anyone ever touched this? Is this something that should be accepted by the
> virt-tools community? Any pointers on how this should be implemented? I know
> almost nothing about spice protocol right now and I was not able to figure out
> much from the virt-viewer code (seems that most part is implemented in
> spice-gtk).

I'd very much like to support this in virt-manager. Hans suggestion of looking
at the virt-viewer code is the way to go.

> BTW, I was wondering: it seems that virt-viewer and virt-manager console
> viewer shares lots of features, although they have a completely different code
> base. Any thoughts on making them share the same application with different
> python wrapper scripts? I know this is a big change for virt-viewer, as it is
> not written in python, but I was wondering about what virt-viewer has today
> that is not available in the virt-manager console viewer and couldn't think of
> much (probably by lack of experience from my part).

There's a lot of reasons, but the main ones nowadays are that 1) virt-viewer
is also remote-viewer which is virt independent, making much of the
virt-manager UI not apply, and 2) remote-viewer is meant to be multiplatform,
virt-manager would need some work to get there and deployment would likely be
harder since it's python.

As for features, the big ones I can think of are USB redirection, multihead,
and likely some other spice features since the spice guys keep virt-viewer up
to date. But all in all nothing too drastic.