[virt-tools-list] Virt Manager Connection Groups / Resource Pools

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Fri Mar 1 19:52:29 UTC 2013

On 02/25/2013 03:54 PM, Nathaniel Cook wrote:

> With KVM and virt-manager is there a concept of resource pools? I want to
> manage several independent sets of KVM hosts ( a.k.a. pool). I would like the
> hosts in the pool to be associated with each other and be aware of other
> members in the pool.
>
> One of several things would satisfy my requirements:
>
> 1. Be able to manage set of connections in virt-manager as a group.
> Autoconnect/connect/disconnect from the entire group.
> 2. Run multiple virt-manager instances each connecting to a different set of
> KVM hosts

Run multiple virt-manager instances on the same physical host? What's the use
case exactly?

> 3. Connect to one KVM host who is aware of the rest of the hosts in its pool.

I don't know what 'aware' means in this context.

> I would prefer option 1 before 2 etc. I am also willing to add the concept of
> connection groups to virt-manager if others see this as a useful addition.

Thanks for the offer, but I don't think this is something that makes sense for
virt-manager. We are really targeting users with a small number of hosts and a
small number of virtual machines. Of course, we don't want the app to fall
over if you have 20 connections, but I don't have any interest in adding
explicit, potentially complex and/or confusing UI to facilitate a workflow
that would really only apply to a small percentage of all virt-manager usage.