[virt-tools-list] Deleting storage pool on the "wrong" volume group

Alaric Haag haag at lsu.edu
Wed Mar 20 18:24:53 UTC 2013

On Mar 20, 2013, at 12:31 PM, "Eric Blake" <eblake at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 03/20/2013 11:15 AM, Alaric Haag wrote:
>> So, following up on my own question, can someone confirm that all I need to do is delete
>>
>>  /etc/libvirt/storage/<pool-name>.xml
>>
>> and the symlink
>>
>>  /etc/libvirt/storage/autostart/<pool-name>.xml
>
> Don't ever mess with files in /etc/libvirt; that goes behind libvirt's
> back, and might not do what you want.
>
> If you want to remove libvirt's knowledge of a pool, try 'virsh
> pool-undefine $pool'.
>
> --
> Eric Blake   eblake redhat com    +1-919-301-3266

Thank you! I suspected as much.

And there's the rub, though I willing to believe I'm missing something simple... pool-undefine won't operate with "active" logical volumes. But, because of my "accident" this pool is using a VG that houses the / and swap partitions of the host system.

If I'm interpreting what I've read correctly, removing/deleting the LVs from the pool "physically" removes them from their volume group. So, I'm reluctant to remove/deactivate them via pool-delete.

I just tried using pool-autostart to disable autostarting, and restarted libvirtd, but the pool remains "active". Perhaps my question should be:

How does one deactivate a pool (without deleting the LVs it is using) so that it can then be deleted?

Alaric