[virt-tools-list] virt-manager branch gtk3.2

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Thu Mar 21 15:09:58 UTC 2013

On 03/19/2013 11:15 AM, Cole Robinson wrote:
> On 03/19/2013 11:14 AM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>>>>
>>> Yes, that branch is a work in progress, the todo.txt has an entry about
>>> reworking the INSTALL file.
>>>
>>> You shouldn't even need to install anything to actually develop virt-manager,
>>> for the gtk3.2 branch it should be as simple as making changes and just
>>> running virt-manager directly from the source tree ( ./virt-manager.py )
>> The only issue i hit with that branch so far is that I needed to
>> yum intsall python-distutils-extra before running setp.py otherwise
>> it just got a python error about missing import.
> And even that shouldn't be necessary for most dev purposes, ./virt-manager.py
> should just work without touching setup.py

Right now I am developing on 0.9.4-4 (git plus rpm patches) but I
believe it should not be that difficult to rebase to gtk3.2

I have IPv6 working on the display and have replaced IPy.py with ipaddr
from the python-ipaddr package on the gui side (need to do the same for
the tui side).

IPv4 only for the createnet wizard but both IPv4 and IPv6 on display.
There are so many new capabilities in libvirt-networking that it is
difficult to determine the best way to display them (or if they should
be displayed at all).  An example is dhcp-host and dhcp networks with no
range but a bunch for dhcp-host specifications.  It is not clear how
best to display them.

It is also not clear how much editing/modify to add beyond start, stop,
delete, and autostart.  I do intend to add basic IPv6 configuration to
the createnet wizard.

As far as the tui interface is concerned, I am not too interested
besides getting rid of IPy.py.  The virsh suite is a nice tui interface
thank you very much.  But, I am unaware of any gui applications (other
then virt-manager and VM/connections) so this needs some improvement.  I
get the impression that gnome boxes is seen as the future but it just
does not meet my needs.

Gene