[virt-tools-list] IPv6 updates status and a couple of questions

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Fri Mar 22 13:43:58 UTC 2013

I have pretty much completed what I wanted to do under 0.9.4-4 and have
now begun rebasing/refitting the patches to the gtk3.2 branch. A couple
of questions ...

First, is there anything I need to do except being in the
git-virt-manager directory and execute:
       ./virt-manager --debug

How about icons/images used in the gui displays?  The files are there
./data/icons/* but no images show up?  Anything I can do to enable their
use or is this a future patch?

Any tips on using python-distutils-extra?  I see setup.py under
virt-manager but am not sure what I should do.

How about creating an rpm?  The old way of "make rpm" naturally no
longer works.

Any big patches for the gtk3.2 branch coming "real soon now" that I
should be aware of?

I have replace IPy with ipaddr and deleted IPy.py.  Other than making
the changes in the "tui" files so that it will work without IPy, I have
not done anything to the tui.  Is this acceptable? Comment: with a lot
of networks defined, the tui interface to just list the networks takes a
really long time ... the gui is very fast. As I stated earlier, if I
wanted to do stuff with a tui interface only, virsh does a good job.

I now have three vertical boxes under the Virtual Networks tab: general,
IPv4, and IPv6.  I have not added anything except one line for "Route
<network-addr> via <gateway-addr>", it is the same info except that it
now includes IPv6.  I will likely also add a "dns Domain:" line to the
general box.  However, there is a lot more info that libvirt now
supports that could be displayed.  My thinking is to add two new tabs
(to Info and Error): IPv4 and IPv6. These two tabs will will list all of
the additional stuff that could be in a network definition.  Comments
please?

Furture idea: Use the Virtual Networks gui to implement
edition/modifying a newtwork definition.  Pretty much leave the
createnet wizard as is but allow the new edit mode to change/add stuff.
I have no plans for doing this yet.  Comments please?

Gene