[virt-tools-list] virt-manager release roadmap

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Tue Mar 26 12:27:22 UTC 2013

On 03/25/2013 01:58 PM, Cole Robinson wrote:
> On 03/25/2013 08:11 AM, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
>> On 03/23/2013 09:18 PM, Doug Goldstein wrote:
>>> So really just trying to understand what the release roadmap is. Right
>>> now its been about 8 months since the last release of virtinst and
>>> virt-manager. There's 37 patches in virtinst since the last release
>>> and virt-manger has 42. Depending on the time frame of the GTK+3.2
>>> branch release, I think there's an advantage to doing a virtinst
>>> 0.600.4 and virt-manager 0.9.5. But there's really 3 ways to go. A
>>> basic bug fix release, looking at all the distros we're all carrying
>>> anywhere from half-dozen to a dozen patches or a full master release
>>> or wait until the GTK+ 3.2 release is ready. I'll be glad to put
>>> together the proposed patchset for the bug fix release and send it to
>>> the list if that's the route people want to go.
>>>
>> I believe there are a few stoppers before a new virt-manager based on the
>> gtrk3.2 branch can be released.
>>
>> 1. virt-manager-tui is broken.
>>
>> 2. The Gtk/Gdk color stuff does not work.
>>
> Can you be more specific here? I don't know what you mean offhand.
Color stuff: createnet.py was using modify_base() instead of
modify_bg(). I corrected this in my "IPv6" patches and found that all
the other code had already fix the problem.

virt-manager-tui broken: from a git-clone and checkout in gtkl3.2, I do
./virt-manager-tui, select network administration and then select list,
I get:
'NoneType' object has no attribute ↑ │
│ 'getCapabilities' ▮ │
│ Traceback (most recent call last): ▒ │
│ File ▒ │
│ "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/newt_ ▒ │
│ syrup/menuscreen.py", line 47, in start ▒ │
│ else: ▒ │
│ self.handle_selection(result.current()) ▒ │
│ File ▒ │
│ "/home/gc/devel/git-test/virt-manager/v ▒ │
│ irtManagerTui/netmenu.py", line 54, in ▒ │
│ handle_selection
│ ListNetworks() ↑ │
│ File ▒ │
│ "/home/gc/devel/git-test/virt-manager/v ▒ │
│ irtManagerTui/listnetworks.py", line ▮ │
│ 73, in ListNetworks ▒ │
│ screen = ListNetworksConfigScreen() ▒ │
│ File ▒ │
│ "/home/gc/devel/git-test/virt-manager/v ▒ │
│ irtManagerTui/listnetworks.py", line ▒ │
│ 27, in __init__ ▒ │
│ ▒ │
│ NetworkListConfigScreen.__init__(self,
"List Networks") ▒ │
│ File ▒ │
│ "/home/gc/devel/git-test/virt-manager/v ▮ │
│ irtManagerTui/networklistconfigscreen.p ▒ │
│ y", line 27, in __init__ ▒ │
│ VmmTuiConfigScreen.__init__(self, ▒ │
│ title) ▒ │
│ File ▒ │
│
"/home/gc/devel/git-test/virt-manager/virtManagerTui/vmmconfigscreen.py", line
▒ │
│ 37, in __init__ ▒ │
│ self.__libvirt = LibvirtWorker() File ▒ │
│ "/home/gc/devel/git-test/virt-manager/v ▒ │
│ irtManagerTui/libvirtworker.py", line ▒ │
│ 90, in __init__ ▒ │
│ self.__capabilities = ▮ │
│ self.__vmmconn.get_capabilities() ▒ │
│ File ▒ │
│ "/home/gc/devel/git-test/virt-manager/v ▒ │
│ irtManager/connection.py", line 256, in
get_capabilities ▒ │
│ self._check_caps() ▒ │
│ File ▒ │
│ "/home/gc/devel/git-test/virt-manager/v ▒ │
│ irtManager/connection.py", line 246, in ▒ │
│ _check_caps ▒ │
│ self._caps_xml = ▒ │
│ self.vmm.getCapabilities() ▒ │
│ AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has ▮ │
│ no attribute 'getCapabilities'

>> While you can run the new virt-manager from a clone of the git, there appear
>> to be a few things to be done so that it can be distributed as a tarball or
>> rpm.  I believe that python-distutils-extra is being used in place of
>> autotools for packaging but I have no idea how to do that.
>>
>> In general the gui side does work and I have had few problems implementing my
>> future patch/patches to implement IPv6 support and a few other things dealing
>> with networking and the glade-3 ui's.
>>
> Right, the gtk3 branch isn't quite ready, but it's in a close enough state
> that I'm happy to cut a final gtk2 release and commit to the next release
> being based on the gtk3 merge work.
BTW: Icons ... do you know where I need to change so that icons and
other png images are found?