[virt-tools-list] How to use xl (in place of xm) with libvirt 1.0.2 and Xen 4.2.1 in Ubuntu 13.04?

Gizmo Chicken gizmochicken at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 05:40:18 UTC 2013

QUESTION:  What, if anything, can I do so that I can use xl (in place of
xm) with libvirt 1.0.2 and Xen 4.2.1 in Ubuntu 13.04?

BACKGROUND:  I am testing a fully updated (as of March 27) installation of
Ubuntu 13.04 that includes the following packages:

libvirt - version 1.0.2-0ubuntu9
xen-hypervisor-4.2-amd64 - version 4.2.1-0ubuntu1

Upon setting TOOLSTACK=xm in /etc/default/xen (as well as making a few
needed tweaks to /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp), libvirt and virt-manager worked
great.  Yippee!

I guess that I should be happy that the xm toolstack still works with Xen
4.2.1 and quit while I'm ahead, but...

According to libvirt's documentation:

"libxl: Starting with Xen 4.2, the legacy XenD/xm toolstack is deprecated
in favor of libxl, also commonly called libxenlight. libvirt supports this
new Xen toolstack via the libxl driver. If XenD is enabled, the legacy xen
driver consisting of the above mentioned channels will be used. If XenD is
disabled, the libxl driver will be used."

See http://libvirt.org/drvxen.html.

In view of the above, I attempted to use xl in place xm by setting
TOOLSTACK=xl in /etc/default/xen.   And after doing so (both with and
without, the above mentioned tweaks to /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp), I
recieved the following error when attempting to start virt-manager:

Unable to connect to libvirt.

unable to connect to 'localhost:8000': Connection refused

Verify that:
 - A Xen host kernel was booted
 - The Xen service has been started

Libvirt URI is: xen:///

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/connection.py", line 1027, in
_open_thread
    self.vmm = self._try_open()
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/connection.py", line 1009, in
_try_open
    flags)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/libvirt.py", line 102, in openAuth
    if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virConnectOpenAuth() failed')
libvirtError: unable to connect to 'localhost:8000': Connection refused