[virt-tools-list] "clone this disk" not available to remote connections

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Tue Oct 1 17:00:01 UTC 2013

On 10/01/2013 12:30 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 10/01/2013 10:23 AM, Kevin Goess wrote:
>> We're just getting setup with kvm and virt-manager, and we noticed that on
>> the "Clone virtual machine" screen, the "Clone this disk" option is
>> greyed-out if you're using virt-manager over a remote connection.  It's
>> only available to remote connections.
>>
>> I see the source code in clone.py
>>
>> ```python
>> def can_we_clone(conn, vol, path):
>>        if conn.is_remote():
>>             msg = _("Cannot clone unmanaged remote storage.")
>> ```
>>
>> My question is *why* can we not clone unmanaged remote storage, or what do
>> we have to do to make it "managed"?
>
> To make it managed, set up a storage pool for each disk image in use by
> the domain.

As for 'why', on a remote connection, the only way we can touch the remote
host is through libvirt APIs. But if libvirt doesn't know about your storage,
we can't use their APIs.

virt-manager could likely do this automatically behind the scenes but there's
lots of caveats and no one has gotten around to it.