[virt-tools-list] VirtViewer and TCP Keepalives

Colin Coe colin.coe at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 02:03:38 UTC 2013

Hi

The bulk of our users run Windows XP (32 bit) clients accessing either Win
XP or Win 7 guests.  Myself and the other sys admin run Fedora 18 and
Fedora 19 desktops respectively.  We all experience the time out problem.

Between the client PCs (Windows and Fedora), we have a pair of firewall
clusters of different brands. I am the primary administrator of the "inner"
firewall cluster but have no visibility of the outer firewall cluster.

Basically we have:

Client PCs  ---  Outer FW cluster  ---  Inner FW cluster  ---  RHEV-M and
RHEV-H (actually fat RHEL)

I have ensured that the FW cluster I maintain does not do timeouts on idle
connections.  I can ssh into a RHEL VM, and leave the SSH session idle for
days without a disconnect.  Once I get a SPICE session to a VM, if I don't
use it for about 15 minutes or so, it either freezes completely (the SPICE
session, not the VM) or disconnects with "unable to connect to the graphic
server"

Thanks

CC

--