[virt-tools-list] virt-viewer: Having per window full-screen state causes monitor arrangement issues

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Fri Sep 20 08:53:50 UTC 2013

Hi All,

While running some multi-monitor tests I've noticed that having per
window fullscreen causes problems with the monitor location inside
the guest.

IE try the following. Take a client with 2 physical monitors, both
running at 1920x1080. Lets call these phys1 and phys2 with phys1
being on the left, and phys2 on the right.

Now connect to a RHEL-6.5 vm. Put the remote-viewer window
on phys2, go to view displays and enable display 2, but the
window for display 2 on phys1.

Fullscreen both. All is well.

Now unfull screen display 2 (so the remote-viewer window on phys1), and
re-fullscreen it.

After this "xrandr --current" in the guest shows:

qxl-0 connected 1920x1080+400+0
qxl-1 connected 1920x1080+0+0

So now qxl-0 largely overlaps qxl-1, rather then being fully to the
right of it.

After a disconnect / reconnect and then fullscreening again, I can
even get the 2 to be complete clones of each other (so both are
at +0+0).

I have not debugged this, but I believe this is caused by the
x y coordinates for the monitor being send to the guest not being
updated for all monitors on fullscreen / un-fullscreen.

We should probably always update all of them on a single window
fullscreen / unfullscreen. And use our auto-align ltr code to
calculate the x+y coordinates, except when all windows are
fullscreen, then we should use the physical monitor coordinates.

Regards,

Hans