[virt-tools-list] virt-viewer: Having per window full-screen state causes monitor arrangement issues

Marc-André Lureau mlureau at redhat.com
Fri Sep 20 14:22:50 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> Hi,
>
> On 09/20/2013 03:28 PM, Marc-André Lureau wrote:

It's the job of a WM to ensure that windows remain visible. Afaik, this is not an issue with GNOME or Windows.

> Also this would mean that just moving a window a bit (without
> moving its upper left corner passed the upper left corner of
> another display) will cause a re-configuring of the guest
> monitors.

Just a move won't trigger reconfiguration, but something else will (widget allocate, zoom, resize ..)

> > - resizing a display inside the guest in fullscreen (scaled), will create
> > even bigger overlaps or gaps.
> >
> > Tbh, I don't see how automatic alignment could work without breaking some
> > use cases. I welcome suggestions
>
> For now I would stick with what I've suggested, so keep the current
> ltr auto-align, while adding code to make sure we update coordinates
> whenever necessary + use physical monitor coordinates in the all
> monitors full-screen case.

I think it's equally bad (if not worse) that monitors are "swaped" whether they are all in fullscreen or not (in your example) (you will get your startmenu/taskbar jumping from window/monitor)

> Alternatively you could simply always do ltr auto-align, but then
> setups with more then 1 row of monitors will always be broken, even
> in the all fullscreen case.

I think ltr-alignment code is really too stupid, it will always bring issues like that.