[virt-tools-list] virt-install fails to install debian wheezy domU on debian wheezy dom0

Tomas Agartz tlund at nxs.se
Fri Sep 27 09:01:10 UTC 2013

I have several XEN domU:s running om my server that I have installed in
the past. I have recently upgraded the dom0 (and most of the domU) to
Debian Wheezy. Tried installing a new (wheezy) guest today, but it seems
to fail to mount the initrd if I understand the error correctly. This is
how I install:

virt-install --name=${DOMU} --ram=128 --disk path=/dev/vg1/${DOMU} --network bridge:vlan200 --nographics --paravirt --location ${URL}

with URL=http://130.239.18.163/debian/dists/wheezy/main/installer-i386 it
fails but if I change the URL to point to squeeze instead, the
installation starts.

virt-install in Debian Wheezy (on my dom0) is version 0.600.1. My dom0 is
a x86_64 machine.

No idea if this is a Debian problem, a problem with virt-install, or if I
am doing sometihng wrong myself, so I am asking on this list first.

//tlund