[virt-tools-list] live-migrating a VM whose current host's storage is fubar'ed

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Tue Apr 15 21:16:16 UTC 2014

Hi all,

   For those on the linux-cluster list, this is a similar question to my
post[1] there.

   I recently had a client destroy their node's RAID array (they yanked
hard drives until the array was destroyed). The VMs running on the node
continued to operate for another hour, impressively. Their storage was
based on DRBD, so the VM's storage just started going to/from the other
node's storage.

   The problem was when I tried to migrate them off of the damaged node
to a healthy node. Without being able to write to the logs (I assume),
the migration failed. In the end, I had to force-off the damaged host
and reboot the VMs on the backup node. This caused an outage which, I
think, could have been avoided.

   So my question is; Can VMs be migrated if/when the host's FS is
read-only/destroyed? If so, how?

Thanks!

1. https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-cluster/2014-April/msg00010.html

--