[virt-tools-list] integratorcp -> virt on aarch64

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Tue Aug 5 11:30:58 UTC 2014

> Somehow the default machine type of virt-install on aarch64 is
> "integratorcp".  However new VMs should be using -M virt (integratorcp
> causes a crash with upstream qemu).
>
> I couldn't find how to change this in the virt-install source, so I
> guessed it is part of libosinfo, but I couldn't find it there either :-(
> Are default machine types a qemu thing?

Sort of:

qemu-system-x86_64 -M ? | grep default
pc-i440fx-2.1        Standard PC (i440FX + PIIX, 1996) (default)

Libvirt will parse that default bit, and ensure it is the first entry in the
machine list in capabilities output, which becomes the default machine type.

arm doesn't explicitly tag any default machine type, so libvirt seems to just
default to the last machine type shown in the equivalent of '-M ?'

> It's easy enough to work around this by specifying --machine=virt on
> the virt-install command line, but I think virt should be the default
> to cause least confusion for new users.

Agreed