[virt-tools-list] Virtual network issue

Ondrej Holy oholy at redhat.com
Mon Dec 1 10:33:35 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> On 11/27/2014 04:50 AM, Ondrej Holy wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I tried gnome-boxes on almost fresh installation of Fedora 21. I was able
> > to ping from guest (in my case Fedora 21 if applicable) to host, guest to
> > internet, however host to guest communication (e.g. ssh, not only ping)
> > didn't work (only ping to virbr0 worked). I found in "Connection details"
> > in virt-manager that "default" network configuration with virbr0 was set
> > "Forwarding: NAT". So I simply deleted this network configuration and
> > created new one with "Forwarding: routed". I can ping from host to guest
> > now, but I can't access internet.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong? I need access from host to guest and also from guest
> > to internet (I'm connected using wifi if applicable). It should work out
> > of box (according Christopher and it seems to be working for him on F21).
> >

> I don't know why the host and guest can't communicate... the default NAT
> network should allow, and it works fine for me here via virt-manager created
> VMs at least. Verify that the guest is getting a 192.168.* IP address, and
> isn't inadvertently using usermode networking.

The address was assigned correctly in a range 192.168.* using DHCP.

> mode=routed networking does not 'just work' and requires some external
> network
> configuration, which is why it's not doing what you expect:
>
> https://www.berrange.com/posts/2009/12/13/routed-subnets-without-nat-for-libvirt-managed-virtual-machines-in-fedora/

Aha, it makes sense, so I want NAT option...

I was trying it and debugging it with Christophe several times last week, however unsuccessfully. I don't know why, but I've retested it now and it works correctly with recreated NAT networking configuration. So I wonder how long it will work...

Thanks for your answer!

Ondrej