[virt-tools-list] Use /usr/bin/python instead of python in /usr/bin/virt-manager

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sun Dec 21 19:11:00 UTC 2014

On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 09:49:59AM -0600, Peng Yu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed virt-manager on ubuntu. However, I have a custom python installed.
>
> The original content of /usr/bin/virt-manager is the following.
>
> exec python "/usr/share/virt-manager/virt-manager.py" "$@"

The Fedora /usr/bin/virt-manager calls
/usr/share/virt-manager/virt-manager directly, and that script uses
/usr/bin/python2.  Upstream also uses /usr/bin/python2.

Perhaps this is something which Debian/Ubuntu is patching?  I did
download the Ubuntu vivid virt-manager package, but it doesn't appear
to patch the source.  Perhaps the change is buried in a dh_* macro
though.

> But it uses my customized python which does not have libvirt module
> and I get the following error.

If your custom python is broken, how about setting $PATH before
running virt-manager?  This should do it:

  PATH=/usr/bin:$PATH virt-manager

> Is it a bug of virt-manager? Should it be fixed? Thanks.

If it's a bug, then it looks like it is a bug in Ubuntu, so you may
want to try reporting it on launchpad.

Rich.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW