[virt-tools-list] Multi-monitor and fullscreen in virt-viewer

Jonathon Jongsma jjongsma at redhat.com
Mon Feb 17 20:15:51 UTC 2014

Hello all,

Recently I've been trying to improve the multimonitor situation in virt-viewer. However, one of the challenges is that the behavior of virt-viewer is not very well-specified at the moment.  This means that it's not always easy to determine whether certain behavior is intentional or whether it's a bug.  I'm attempting to improve that situation little by little.  My first focus is specifying the behavior of virt-viewer when it is started in full-screen (auto-conf) mode.  I've come up with a set of requirements (see file 'multimonitor-requirements') for fullscreen / multimonitor mode.  I understand that the way I've written these requirements is perhaps a bit formal and strange, but I hope that they're understandable at least.  If not, please ask for clarification.

Part of this proposal includes a limited ability to configure what monitors are used in fullscreen mode.  I've introduced a simple configuration file format to attempt to allow people to be able to specify which monitors to use. For example, perhaps they want full-screen mode to use monitors 2 and 3, but leave monitor 1 for their local work.  The requirements for this are included in the aforementioned file, and in addition, the attached file 'multimonitor-fullscreen-settings' demonstrates the proposed format of the configuration file.  Note that I'm not proposing any UI to manage this configuration -- at the moment the configuration must be specified by manually editing the settings file.

If anybody has any opinions on any of the above, let me know.

Jonathon