[virt-tools-list] Scripting virt-install to automate image building

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sun Jan 19 20:35:30 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 12:09:49PM -0800, Anthony Shortland wrote:
> Hi Rich,

> We're after building cloud images from fresh installs driven by ISOs
> and Kickstart files.

Oz builds guests by doing fresh installs.  This is, of course, slow.

> We're also trying to stay within he tooling
> included in RHEL 6.

I don't know if we shipped Oz with RHEL, but it would surely be in EPEL.

> Is there any other choice than virt-install given these contraints?

These are the virt-install scripts we used when creating guest
templates for virt-builder upstream.  They are only tested on recent
Fedora so I don't know how well they would work on RHEL 6:

https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/tree/master/builder/website
(*.sh files)

Rich.