[virt-tools-list] virt-install doesn't reboot rhel6/7 VMs after install

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Mon Jul 28 16:02:55 UTC 2014

On 07/28/2014 11:37 AM, Digimer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   I've noticed that, for reasons I am not entirely sure of (though may exist
> and be valid), newly provisioned EL6 and EL7 VMs stay off after pressing
> "reboot" at the end of the OS install (--os-variant rhel*). I've seen this
> behaviour on RHEL/CentOS 6.x and various recent Fedoras. Note that when I
> install other OSes, the VM reboots properly.
>
>   Why would this be? Is this designed behaviour? Installing the same on
> bare-iron nodes reboots properly.

The VM should be restarting... can you show an example command line and full
virt-install --debug output? Make sure you aren't passing --noreboot or --wait
timeout that is expiring.

The way it's supposed to work is that the VM fully shuts down, virt-install
changes the VM configuration to boot off the now installed disk, and restarts
the VM. It does this by telling VM to shutdown rather than perform a soft
reboot with <on_reboot>destroy</on_reboot> in the VM XML. It does this for all
VM installs regardless of the OS.

When the VM shuts down after install, virt-install should update the config,
restart the VM, and exit. But clearly that's failing here