[virt-tools-list] Changing spice image compression algorithm in virt-manager

Giuseppe Scrivano gscrivan at redhat.com
Mon Jun 16 07:04:54 UTC 2014

Rune Kjær Svendsen <runesvend at gmail.com> writes:

> Hello list
>
> I'm experimenting with improving performance of viewing a qemu guest
> running on localhost via SPICE.
>
> I would like to see if turning off image compression will increase the
> framerate I currently get.
>
> This is done by adding the following option to the -spice command when
> running qemu-system-x86_64:
>
> image-compression=off
>
> But I can't find out how to add the option in virt-manager. If this
> isn't possible, is there some other way of adding this option to the -
> spice options list when virt-manager runs qemu-system-x86_64?

you can edit the definition XML for the virtual machine trough virsh:

# virsh edit $VM_NAME

and specify the image compression in the graphics xml block, mine looks
like this:

    <graphics type='spice' autoport='yes' listen='::'>
      <listen type='address' address='::'/>
      <image compression='off'/>
    </graphics>

Regards,