[virt-tools-list] Copy/paste problems in SPICE session (remote-viewer)

Colin Coe colin.coe at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 00:57:32 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 8:40 AM, Marc-André Lureau <mlureau at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]

We have seen this in the past on Windows clients but the current users
do few copy/paste operations.  Come June, our user base will be far
more diverse and I believe the probability of this happening to them
will be greatly increased.

>> In a nutshell, remote-viewer hangs after copy/paste operations in the
>> guest.  This can be entirely within the guest (i.e. copy text between
>> applications such as Eclipse and Toad for Oracle) or copying text from
>> the client to the guest.  Sometimes the problem is triggered after a
>> handful (less than 10) copy pastes, sometimes the problem is not
>> exposed after even 20 or 30 copy pastes.
>>
>> I have re-produced the problem on RHEL6, RHEL7 beta and Fedora 20.
>> virt-viewer 0.5.6, 0.5.7 and 0.6.0.
>>
>> Note that I have tried and failed to expose the problem with my Fedora
>> client connecting to a RHEL6 guest running the Gnome desktop.  I used
>> gedit and did approx 70 copy/paste operations with any problems.
>

> Interesting, what virtio and spice agent version have you installed in the Windows guest?

RHEV Tools 3.3-10 (virtio driver version 52.65.104.7000
RHEV-Spice-Agent64 - 4.10.3 or 3.3.3 as reported by RHEV)

> What is the host btw?

Fat RHEL6.5 host fully.  Haven't yet updated to apply RHEV 3.3.1 updates.
rpm -q vdsm libvirt
vdsm-4.13.2-0.10.el6ev.x86_64
libvirt-0.10.2-29.el6_5.4.x86_64

>> Once the problem is exposed, the remote-viewer window can not be
>> closed by clicking the 'X' (close) button on the top right hand
>> corner.  It can only be closed by killing the process (TERM is
>> sufficient).
>>
>> Are the devs aware of this problem?  What can I do to assist in
>> tracking this down?
>>

> I am not aware of such bug. I guess you should open one.

I've GSS to create one.  The problem has similar symptoms to
https://access.redhat.com/site/solutions/388473.

> Could you install debugging symbols and run remote-viewer under gdb, with SPICE_DEBUG=1 ? When it hangs, do "thread apply all bt" and copy paste the last logs and the fullbacktrace. That should help us.
>
> Thanks
>

>> Thanks
>>
>> CC
>>
>> --